Friday, October 26, 2012

Taco Bean Soup

We have officially had our first snow of the season here in Salt Lake. As I trudged around campus all I could think about was getting home and making some nice hot soup.

This taco bean soup makes it to our table quite frequently especially around finals when my free time is spent buried in books dashing into the kitchen when my growling stomach becomes too loud to ignore. It is easy, delicious, and I always have the ingredients stocked.

 
Ingredients
  • 30 oz can kidney beans                          
  • 30 oz can black beans                             
  • 15oz can hominy                                     
  • 15 oz can ranch style pinto bean             
  • 15 oz can white bean                               
  • 15 oz can cut green beans                        
  •  15 oz can corn                                         
  • 1/2 lb Jimmy Dean sausage (hot)             
  • 1/2 packet of taco seasoning                     
  • 1 1/2 T Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
  • a pinch of kosher salt                                
 You can easily brown the sausage and combine with the rest of the ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours.  Or you can brown the sausage in a pot and combine with everything else for a one pot meal like I did and simmer for 3 hours. 
* Don't drain off the sausage grease or the juice from the cans, it is good stuff I promise.*
 These cute soup crock here.
 The hubby and I had this for dinner and when we finished my soup had cooled enough for me to fill a 2 qt tupperware container to keep in the fridge and a gallon bag to freeze for a rainy day down the road when I don't feel like grocery shopping.
 always freeze your soup lying flat so that it takes up less space.



It was a lot of fun too watch Titan in the snow for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. try adding some ranch dressing to your taco soup. I use the ranch packet you make your own dip with. it adds a whole new flavor and is oh so good!!!
    love aunt tammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I will have to do that for sure! Give the kiddos hugs! Love youuuuuu!!!

    ReplyDelete