Saturday, November 24, 2012

Overnight Caramel French Toast

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I know that we did. As semi newlyweds (We have been married over a year but I can still call us newlyweds right?!) we still get to double up on the holidays trying to spend time with each family which translates to TWO family thanksgiving dinners. 

My mom hosted an early Thanksgiving and is really big into family games so after dinner she brought out a game called HedBanz. I wish I had taken a picture of everyone playing but I was too into the game! It is a fun guessing game that I would highly recommend to anyone. 

On the actual Turkey day my Hubby had to work at the hospital for a good chunk of it so my MIL ended up cooking the entire meal herself. This turned up to be a stressful task as she had done a self clean on her ovens the night before and now one of them wont unlock so she was down to one oven with multiple dishes to bake and only two hands to do it with. Everything turned out amazing but as you can imagine cooking breakfast the next morning was the last thing she wanted to do after a day of slaving in the kitchen. So when she ran across a recipe for overnight french toast she decided to give it a shot. 

And this heavenly treat is what we got.
Ingredients
  • 1 C packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 C corn syrup
  • 1/4 C butter
  • ~10 slices whit bread
  • 2 1/2 C milk
  • 1 T flour
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 T sugar
  • 2 1/2 t ground cinnamon
Directions

Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a sauce pan over medium heat until bubbling and the pour into a greased 13x9 pan. Place a layer of bread on top.

Whisk milk, flour, vanilla, salt, and eggs together in a separate bowl and pour over bread. Cover the pan and refrigerate over night.

In the morning combine sugar and cinnamon and then sprinkle over the bread and bake for 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment